Hill House Through the Years
The birds-eye view above is from 1890. Hill House is just to the right of the center of the photo. The large building to its left may have been a sanitarium, of which there were many in Asheville in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Please read the PDF document below for an early history of Hill House prepared by Dale Slusser, of the Preservation Society of Asheville and Buncombe County.
Hill House apparently remained a single-family home until sometime in the 1970s, remaining in the Bruce Banks Webb family from 1911 to 1937 and from 1937 until 1975 under the ownership of Vera Wallas and her subsequent estate. At some time, either prior to or soon after its sale from Ms. Wallas's estate, Hill House was subdivided into five apartments. The guest kitchen off the parlor is the most visible reminder today of those years. As indicated on the main About page of this website, Hill House was developed into the bed and breakfast that we know today in the mid 1990s.
The photo below is of the home in 1978, maybe its low point during its first century.